Monday, April 13, 2015

Star Children

This week will be a little more lightweight.  The plan is to post my 3 pages of HFSAC (Mon-Wed), my 1 page of SDF (Fri), and I wanna put up 2 Wildcard Pages this week, because I have two more Back-up Stories that I haven't revealed yet (one is set on Mercury, and the other is a different story set on Jupiter (hey, Jupiter's the biggest planet in our Solar System, so there's probably a wealth of stories on such a big planet).  I'm not sure which days those Wildcard Pages will go up, it'll depend on how much time I've got to work this week.  Regardless, at least one Wildcard will go up on its usual day, Thursday.

Anyway, today is HFSAC Day, so let's get moving.

The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club (vol. 2) #1 Page 10.

I don't really read Marvel and DC anymore.  I got pretty excited about DC's Ambitious "New 52", but DC not only refused to have the guts to follow through with their new books (the cancellation of OMAC in less than a year was rough), but they also did too many crossovers with too many of their books.  If the whole point of the New 52 was to make things easier for new readers, then why would they feel the need to have a freaking Multi-book crossover early month?

But at least I only find DC kinda annoying.  I detest Marvel.  Marvel has dragged the Superhero through the mud.  They lost me with "Civil War", and I never came back, mostly because they've never given me a good reason to (multiple crappy (and short-lived) Silver Surfer series don't help).  The whole point of Superheroes is that they are Heroes who are Superhuman (even if they're just superhuman in skill) in some way.  That means 1) they're good guys and 2) they save the day.  But man oh man, at Marvel they don't do that, do they.  Marvel heroes fight each other over and over and over again.  They don't fight back guys.  They fail.  Constantly.  Sometimes, they get replaced by villains, and the villains do a better job of being a hero than they ever did.  I honestly don't know how guys like Mr. Fantastic, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Hank Pym can sleep at night, given how many terrible things they've done and how incredibly they've failed as heroes.

As I've said before, this isn't really a Superhero comic, it's a book about Mythology and Gods and Demi-Gods and Legendary Heroes.  And Gods... well, if you really go back and look at your Old Mythology, the Gods can be a pretty awful lot.  They're childish, capricious, and sometimes flat out evil.  They toy with the lives of mortals, and bring death and destruction on little more than a whim.  So, from a moral perspective, I approach this more from the perspective of a Superhero Comic.

HFSAC are New Wave Space Gods that do everything in their power to Save the Day.  Sometimes, they fail in this endeavor, as they have with the tiny village full of Blue-Monkey-People.  But even in their failure, they try to find a way to make things right and bring Kharmic Balance.  Which is what we have on this page, as HFSAC perform a Miracle and convert the dead villagers into brilliant, shiny Star Children.  Which I think is neato, and also serves as a tip of the hat to our Base Mythology, namely Kirby's take on "2001".

No comments:

Post a Comment