Monday, February 16, 2015

The Transformers vs. GIJoe Rant

So, everybody's reading Tom Scioli's "Transformers vs. GIJoe" right?  No?  That's too bad.  TvsG is the wrongest comic to ever exist in the history of the Universe.  It shouldn't exist.  No company in its right mind would ever publish a comic like this, and yet here it is, every month.  Are the people at IDW not paying attention?  Are the people at Hasbro out taking a leak?  This comic makes everything Grant Morrison has ever done look Sane by comparison (although that new Multiversity Guidebook gave it a pretty good run for its money this week).  I mean, there's a Giant Robot who has a Giant Robot for a head, who has another Robot for a head, and they're fighting a Giant City that's a Robot Tyranasaurus.  How did this beautiful thing happen?  It's a comic about TOYS, but it's not even an ad for current toys, cause the modern Transformers don't look like this anymore, and GIJoe is pretty much forgotten about.

Am I making it clear this is the best comic being published right now?  I don't know if I am.  TvsG defies Traditional Art and any form of Traditional Writing.  Defies?  It throws gasoline on them and then hits em with a Flamethrower.  I gotta stop with the hyperbole.  I'm not getting my point across.

Tom Scioli makes the best comics.  Myth of 8-Opus was a bizarre take on the New Gods where the Universe was a Giant Serpent that Ate Itself and was the Bad Guy.  G0dland was Jack Kirby as Genre where the Entire Universe Rewrote Itself and everyone became gods.  American Barbarian was an end of the world epic that featured a giant mummy with Tanks for feet.  Final Frontier was a bizarre merger of 60s Marvel Comics with the Beatles that reminded us all of why we love comics in the first place.  Satan's Soldier was Evil Superman.  And by that I don't mean all the slow paced brooding Evil Superman nonsense we've been saddled with time and time again.  This is Evil Superman who knocks up a bunch of women who give lethal birth to a brood of psychotic Superbabies that Evil Superman wraps up in a sack and tries to drown in a river.

Which brings us to Transformers vs. GIJoe, Scioli's attempt at being commercial.  But man...

I used to be a really big Paul Pope fan, right?  I mean, don't get me wrong, Paul Pope is freaking awesome, and he is easily one of the most influential artists going today.  A whole generation of artists have adopted Pope's style.  It's just hard to be a devoted fan to a guy that puts out a book every 5 years, y'know?  I can only read my old copies of "THB" so many times, y'know?

Aaaaaaanyway, Pope used to do all of these Diatribes on Comix Art and whatnot, and he used to refer to himself as the Comics Destroyer, in that he would Destroy the Idea of Comics in order to "Save" them (or create new types of comics at the least... even though Pope is popular and influential, he's never been Big Business).

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, that's what Tom Scioli is doing with Transformers vs. GIJoe.  He's destroying comics and rebuilding them from scratch.  The rules don't exist anymore, not in the world of TvsG.

The only real question is:  How long can he keep this up?  How far can he take it?  Where's the Edge when you've already shot clean over it already?  Why did I say there was only one question when I had three?

I dunno.  I hope he can keep it going.  Because to me, Comix need to be Crazy and Wild and Wrong and Beautiful, and right now no one does it better than Scioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment