Monday, January 19, 2015

Different Philosophies, Bloody Struggles, and the Death of the Space Gods

It's a new week, and I'm feeling a little less fried, so let's get rolling, shall we?

SDF:

SDF 10-9.

One of the things I've never understood about Superhero Comics (and let's face facts, cats n' kittens, I'm basically making Superhero Comix from a Cracked Mirror Dimension), is that there are really only a few differences in philosophy.  Typically that difference is merely:  To Kill or Not to Kill?  Marvel's Civil War event presented the idea of Should Superheroes Be Public, or Is It Better For Their Identities to be Secret?  But otherwise, you don't see a lot of that sort of inherent philosophical conflict.  There's tons of PERSONAL Conflicts (The Hulk don't get along with nobody), but in terms of essential philosophy, there's not a lot of depth in superhero comics.

The TORCverse is different in that the Evil Ortex Corporation has completely conquered the Earth, so philosophy in this world centers around "How do we fight back?"  For Secret Soldier, the only possible solution is to remain on Earth, in the Lion's Den, and take the battle directly to Ortex.  For the Clown, who fully understands the futility of a direct strike, the only worthwhile approach is to stem the tide of Ortex's advance into the rest of the Solar System.  So we have a little bit of a philosophical stand off here.  It's not quite Captain America vs. Iron Man, but y'know, whatchagonnado?

Skull Mob:

Skull Mob 6-9.

One of Death Moth's tricks we haven't seen in awhile is the Black Hand Technique, where the Death Moth uses his body's Chi Reserve to create an aura around his arms or legs.  This aura allows him to cut through solid steel, let alone flesh and blood.

Of the many things I find creepy about Dr. Dendull (and yes, I know it's weird that I find things creepy about a character I created, but whatevs) is the way he talks.  His voice always sounds... syrupy in my head.  He always likes to talk friendly-like at first.  It's not until you really start to frustrate him that the monster really comes out.

HFSAC:

The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club #24-9.

I've never really went into Electric Cherry's origin.  I don't really bother that much with origins.  One of the things that annoys the crap out of me with all of these superhero movies is that we always gotta do the freakin' origin story over and over and over again.  Restart, reboot, reorigin.  That was also my problem with Marvel's Ultimate Universe.  Here's the freakin' origin all over again.  Sigh.

Still, I know the importance of origin stories, which is why, eventually, I want to tell the origins of all 12 members of HFSAC (I'm almost through with Mister Halloween's origin over on the Patreon... I need to pick back up on that).

Anyway, as a brief overview, Electric Cherry is the half-breed offspring of an 8th Dimensional Space Goddess named the Dawn Phoenix (who was seen briefly in HFSAC 15 (I think)) and a 7th Dimensional Lightning Spirit (which, hopefully, I'll get around to debuting him sometime in the future).  She, technically, doesn't have a physical, 3-Dimensional body, a fact that was in evidence in her early appearances in SDF and Truth or Consequences #0, when she would have to take possession of a physical body in order to interact in 3D Reality.  Eventually, she got a permanent physical body (again, I'll hopefully get to that story eventually).

In typical Joseph fashion, I never really got around to doing anything with the Space Gods or Impossitropolis, and now I've wiped them all out, off-panel.  Sigh.  Anyway, instead of rambling about my deficiencies as a writer or about the billions of stories I will never have the time or energy to tell, at the end of the day, this is all just set up for our little adventure, and for the jump between HFSAC vol. 1 and 2. 



No comments:

Post a Comment