Thursday, January 8, 2015

Broken Heroes, Giant Monsters, & New Faces

Again, according to the new schedule, this is the Last Day of the Week for me.  I might post one of my Rambling Blogs on Friday, or I may just take the day off or whatever.  Who knows?  In the meantime, let's drop some Comic Bombs, shall we?

SDF:

SDF #10 Page 4.

Poor Doc Brummer.  He cared for Cheryl almost as much as Octopus Jones did, and he was forced to watch her die.  It's weird how much occurs as I'm working.  Boolah sent the script in, and I read, thought "cool".  But as usual, when I got to this page, I just realized that Doc Brummer was just broken.  Also, being present for the birth of a 12th Dimensional NeoAngel has aged him a bit.  The other thing I like about this scene is how Secret Soldier is still on the clock.  I honestly never had much of a handle on how to write Secret Soldier, but Boolah has really got a tack on how to write the guy.  In a room full of broken people, Secret Soldier is somehow the most broken one of all.

Skull Mob

Skull Mob #6 Page 4.

When I started working with Boolah, I described to him the sort of concepts I was working with with my three series.  One of the ideas I had going was that HFSAC was about serving a Benevolent God who had your back while on the flip side, Skull Mob was about serving a God who didn't give a flying crap about you.  Sort of a whole exploration of the whole New Testament God vs. Old Testament God concept that's drove me crazy for years.  Y'know, with Explosions and Monsters and stuff.  Anyway, Xipe Topec is the worst kind of god, a vicious bully who just doesn't care about anything beyond his own plans and motives.

HFSAC:

The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club #24 Page 4.  First half of a double page spread.

New Faces!  I love new characters.  Anyway, the guy who is floating on the left side of the page is Sphynx, who we'll see introduced over in "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club Adventure Comix" #3.  He's the strong silent type, so we won't get a lot of dialogue out of him.  Don't worry, he's cool though.  The guy hanging upside down is Phantasmo Rex, who is almost the exact opposite.  He's a regular Chatty-Cathy.  His actual introduction will be in "HFSACAC" #4, but we'll learn a lot about him later on in this issue.  Lastly the fellow on the ugly couch (side note:  I love that our heroes live in a flashy, metallic, futuristicy super space station and yet they've still got an ugly couch.  Ah, the TORCverse) is Mister Halloween, previously known as Halloween M@n or Sheriff Halloween (yeah, the floating guy with the pumpkin head).  If you're on Patreon you can see his whole origin story unfold (that strip has been on a little break lately, hopefully I can pick up on it in a week or two).  Otherwise, he was in HFSACAC #2, and he'll be in HFSACAC #3.  He's one of my oldest characters (almost as old as the Clown himself), so I'm glad he's out there and rolling with the Fudgeheads.  It's worth mentioning that the Clown and Mister Halloween have been pals for a long time.  So there's that little bit too.



No comments:

Post a Comment