Monday, October 12, 2015

TORCTOBER: The New Game

Welp, I'm back to the Sawmill today.  Gimme a second to adjust.

(Offscreen you can barely hear the sounds of muffled crying, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.  What the heck is the sound of teeth gnashing anyway?)

Okay.  I'm okay.  Anyway, I'm back at the Mill today, but just because I must once again descend into the bowels of Hell doesn't mean I have to abandon the Momentum I've built over the last few days.  So, I have developed a New Game for motivation.  If you're a Small Press Creator, or a Creative Type of any persuasion, than I invite you to modify the Game and play it at home.

The Game is very simple.  The Goal, at the end of the Week (Saturday), is to amass X amount of Points.  You should set your Point totals based on your own speed and skill levels.  X is a grand total for the entire week, so you should set a specific, lesser total for every day of the week.  Here's how you earn points:

1 Point:  Fully Pencil a Page.
1 Point:  Fully Ink a Page.
1 Point:  Fully Color a Page.
(NOTE: If you're not a Comic Book Creator, but you are a Creative Person and like the idea of this Game, feel free to set Point totals in such a way that will help motivate you in your personal endeavor)

The way I have set the Game up for myself, I need to earn 6 Points a day, Monday through Friday, and 2 Points a day on Saturday and Sunday for a weekly total of 34 Points (I think.  I'm very bad with Math).  Now, here's the important part: Points can be transferred from Day to Day.  So, for example, if I have no time for anything tonight, but I've got spare time tomorrow, I can move any additional points from Tuesday back to Monday. 

What do you get if you meet your total for the week?  Nothing.  Well, besides the satisfaction that you have completed your Goals for the Week and brought yourself closer to accomplishing something.

Now, when you're setting your Point totals, you should be realistic.  My Goal of Six Points a Day is kind of Insane, but it's also doable for me, and will help me push myself to get more done and stay focused.  6 Points probably won't work for most people, so they should set the total a little lower.  The Goal is to push yourself and stay focused, without driving yourself insane.

So, how am I doing?  Well, last night I Inked Two Pages, and Penciled Three Pages, for a Total of 5 Points.  That means I met my requirement for Sunday, and Banked an additional 3 Points towards today (Monday).  So I have 5 out of 32 Points right now.

For awhile now, I've been off my Game, so it became clear that it was time to invent a new Game to get me back on my Game.  We'll see how this goes.  Regardless, in the Immortal Words of the Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club:

GAME ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment