Tuesday, August 27, 2013

K-9 Redesign

Today's Webcomic:

Skull Mob.  Issue 1.  Page 13.  www.torcpress.com

So, you might be asking yourself why I would draw Renee K-9 one way at the beginning of the comic, and a different way here on Page 13 towards the end. 

Unlike a lot of comic artists, I honestly haven't spent a lot of time obsessing over the female form.  Some comic guys, it seems like all they are capable of drawing are sexy or cute or beautiful women.  Me?  I dunno, I just never focused on it.  I'm okay at drawing women, but I've concentrated primarily on improving my chops as a story teller and fight choreographer first (I also have a buddy who claims I draw the best facial expressions.  Not sure if I agree, but I am decent at it).  When I do draw women, I tend to stick to a pretty basic "Barbie Mold".  I tend to draw my women simplistic and pretty.  It's something that's bugged me about my art for a long time, but I could never really figure out what to do about it. 

For some reason, after reading the recent "Glory" reboot and seeing the myriad of ways Ross Campbell drew women of all shapes and sizes, something finally clicked in my, and I've been getting a little better at drawing women that aren't just stick figures (I want to stress: A LITTLE better).  Renee K-9 was an experiment in drawing a female character that was decidedly Un-Feminine.  So, I made her intentionally dog-like and monstrous.

There was just one problem.  I didn't like drawing her.  Turns out I don't want my women to look Un-womanly and monstrous.  Apparently my artistic side is shallow after all.

So, when Xipe Topec dragged Renee off for Surgery, I took the opportunity to give her a makeover.  The S&M outfit goes hand in hand with the look of the Vermin Angels (blatantly based on Clive Barker's Cenobites from the "Hellraiser" series, who in turn were inspired by S&M culture, which, by the by, I am totally NOT into, but I like the way it looks on a comic page...).  I basically just simplified and cutified the face, and kept the oversized, paw-like hands.

Cause, here's the thing, Comics are a lot like animation.  You've got to draw the same things over and over and over and over and over again.  And if you don't enjoy drawing something, then you're not gonna enjoy drawing it over and over and over again.  So, that's also why Renee got a little facelift.

No comments:

Post a Comment