Friday, August 2, 2013

Backwards Dialogue

Today's Strip:

Skull Mob.  Issue 1.  Page 6.  www.torcpress.com

Two Notes on this particular page:

First off, in the large panel, the Death Moth says "Tinmad."  This is Damnit spelled backwards.  Bad Jack has always been a rather straightforward character, largely driven by his quest for revenge against Dr. Dendull.  The only real quirk I ever gave the character is his tendency to occasionally say words backwards when he is angry, upset, or surprised.  The reason for this bizarre quirk dates back to when I wanted to give all of my characters a connection to "Alice in Wonderland".  Bad Jack (back when he was a zombie superhero, before he was a moth-man) was going to be the White Knight, and according to the lyric in the classic song "White Rabbit", the White Knight is talking backwards, so suddenly Jack developed this strange habit.  If you read just about any comic he appears in, even the early appearances in "SDF: Pulp", you'll find him occasionally slipping and saying something in reverse.  The best example is when he yells "IED!", he's actually trying to yell "DIE!".

Secondly, this page represents one of my infamous counting mistakes.  I'm actually working quite a ways ahead with both Skull Mob and HFSAC, so much so that Issue 1 of both books is actually done.  Unfortunately, at some point in the process, this page got temporarily lost.  When I was assembling the print edition of Skull Mob #1, I found myself going, where's the page with the Giant Teeth?  (Which, incidentally, is an odd thing to say to oneself)  After digging around my Art Pile, I found the lost page, scanned it, numbered it "6a" (since I had misnumbered Page 7 as Page 6), and renumbered the whole book.  So, long story short, Skull Mob #1 is actually 17 pages instead of 16.  Whoops.

Anyway, that's it for me this week.  Next week is Wizard World Chicago, which will give me my first opportunity to update the strip while on the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment