Thursday, August 22, 2013

Joke Characters

Thursday is the Longest Day of the Week, so here's today's webcomic to help pass the time:

The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club.  Issue 18.  Page 14.  www.torcpress.com

If you look closely at the big bottom panel, you might notice the return of El Panda and Duck Amok, a pair of joke characters that I would randomly insert into every issue of the original HFSAC.  I first created the characters for a comic I never actually produced back during my Xerox Comics days, before I started working Conventions.  Back when my Studio was in my parent's basement.  When I created these two crudely drawn characters, I think I wanted to try to build an actual strip around them, but there was nothing there to build.  El Panda isn't a very interesting character, and Duck Amok just yells "I CRAVE SODA!" all the time.  Not exactly prime comic strip material.  So they became these oddball joke characters.  They first started appearing in the old "Super Duper Fun Comix", graduated to the original version of "SDF", and eventually ended up in the original HFSAC.

Interesting side note, I painted these two on the ceiling in my dining room.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that in my extensive interview with you I never asked you about those two.
    Mark
    Read Night Warrior
    http://quakezine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete