Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pulp Horrorshow v.4-1-2 (The Oddball Origin of Bigg Wulf)

Today's Bloody Webcomic:

Pulp Horrorshow.  Volume 4.  Issue 1.  Page 2.  www.torcpress.com

So, here we have the introduction of our newest character, Bigg Wulf.  Or, conversely, you could view him in a manner similar to Death Moth or Doom Eagle, where I took an old character I wasn't satisfied with, and transformed him into something new.  Either way, you might be wondering where Mr. Wulf came from.  Here's the odd little story.

I'll talk about this more in a later post, but I have finally found my "Trio" in the TORCverse.  My Mickey/Donald/Goofy group.  That group is, of course, Cactus Joe, Death Moth, and Octopus Jones.  I shoulda been content with that, but I'm me, and you never know when a new idea is gonna be sparked.  So, one day, I'm working on the computer and watching the Disney Channel (Shut up.  "Phineas and Ferb" and "Gravity Falls" are really good shows.  Also, they've got new "Mickey Mouse" shorts on.  Shut up!), and they occasionally have Old School Disney shorts on, between shows.  Anyway, this one short that I had never seen before called "Mickey's Polo Team" came on.  Curious, I stopped working and paid attention to the TV.  The very old, very odd cartoon features Mickey's team playing polo against a team of what were famous comedic actors at the time, namely Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, and Harpo Marx.  Mickey's team obviously consisted of Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, but the fourth member of the team turned out to be, surprisingly, The Big Bad Wolf from the Three Little Pigs shorts.  For some reason, this seemed shocking to me, having the cute, heroic Disney characters teamed up with this villainous, grinning, Wolf.  It just seemed creepy and wrong, despite the silly nature of the cartoon.

A weird obsession set in.  I couldn't stop thinking about this new, never seen before, never seen again, Quartet of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and the Wolf.  What would my version of that look like?  And so, Bigg Wulf began to take shape inside my overactive imagination.  In my mind, I wanted to keep the Big Bad Wolf's jagged teeth and long, lolling tongue, so those went into the visual mix immediately, then I threw in bits of my previous character, Kanabub Abul, a character I didn't get to use that much, and a little bit of a simplistic, Venom-esque approach to the rest of the head, and Voila!  A new character is born.

The name Bigg Wulf is an old joke that only I get.  Here's that story:  Way, way back in... High School maybe, we had an assembly.  It was less of an assembly and more of a half hour long commercial for a guy trying to sell us Class Rings.  Anyway, our school's mascot was the Wolves, and we had a very, very odd looking cartoon wolf as our school mascot.  It looked a little like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon, or maybe a little like Disney's version of the Big Bad Wolf.  Also, our Cartoon Wolf was Blue for some reason.  Annnnyway, the guy trying to sell us class rings told us that we could get our unique cartoon wolf mascot engraved on our Class Rings.  Except, the Salesman was from further South somewhere, and he pronounced Wolf as "Wol-uf".  He somehow managed to turn a simple one syllable word into a two syllable word.  For some reason that stuck with me, so now, over 15 years later, I have a character called Bigg Wulf as something of an homage to that Salesman who couldn't say Wolf right.

Never bought a Class Ring either.  Screw remembering High School.

Anyway, next Sunday, we'll see what kinda abilities this Monsterman has, and the Next Sunday after that, we'll see why he only has one arm.  Mwa-ha-ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment