Thursday, December 16, 2010

Frozen Doom

So, this is gonna one of those kinda Winters. Bitter, hard, and totally out to ruin everything for everyone. The Sawmill really gets it in this kind of Winter. Hydraulics don't like the cold. The conveyors get buried under snow. And ice. Lord, the ice. We lost two days to the snow and the ubercold. It finally cleared up enough to work on Wednesday, although it took us most of the morning just to get things running enough to actually work. So, we got a half of a day in. Now, I don't like my job at the Mill by any stretch of the imagination, but I know that Dad's gotta pay the bills (which includes my paycheck, dur), so losing a bunch of perfectly good work days to snow is no good for any of us.

So, today, I get up, bumble over to the window, look out, and everything looks kosher, so I go about my morning rituals. Around the time that I'm throwing on my pants, I get a call from Dad. Turns out we got SHEET ICE overnight. So, I've probably got the morning off, maybe the day. Which, normally, would be cause celebre around here. But we've already lost two days, plus it's Yoga night in Olney.

Long story short, this is gonna be a long, rotten winter. And it's not even January yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment