Sunday, March 6, 2016

Seven Worlds Week

I had a photo of this piece up on Instagram a few days ago.  Here's the finished color version:

Right.  As I'm sure I've whined about a bit by now, things are kinda crazy for me right now.  I'm getting ready to get married, trying to buy a house, sending out comics submissions, and trying to survive the last little bit of winter at the Sawmill.  So, I've been trying to find ways to keep myself sane during the week (I'm cool on the weekends, cause I get to hang with Mei). 

Somewhere along the line, I started really thinking about the idea of Multiverses.  Maybe it was from watching too much of The Flash, maybe I was getting nostalgic for old Hannah-Barbera cartoons.  I dunno.  I just found myself thinking about the idea.  Interestingly, the TORCverse has never been an actual Multiverse, it's only ever been a singular universe.  Everything that happened, from Cactus Joe fighting demons in a grimy back-alley, to the Cosmic Fool racing through space, to aliceislost exploring the Lost Lands, to a cartoon cat and dog (Walt & Sped) having silly little adventures, everything was happening in the same universe.

The events of Bad Rapture kind of ended the possibility of the old version of the TORCverse.  Ortex taking complete control of the Earth made it a little hard to continue doing things the same old way.

When I started doing Quixote Coyote it was obvious from the onset that the series didn't take place in the classic TORCverse.  Quixote Coyote takes place in its own world (or Universe, if you will) populated exclusively by talking, anthropomorphic animals (and ghosts that look vaguely humanoid, apparently). 

So, I got to thinking, what would a TORC Multiverse look like?  Instead of everything being crammed into a singular universe, what would it be like to have different Universes, each with its own individual flavor?  So, I meditated on that a bit, and I came up with SEVEN WORLDS, which led to the creation of the drawing above.  All seven worlds are represented in the drawing.

Anyway, this week is Seven Worlds Week, where from Monday through Friday, I'll put up on the blog at least one page from each different world.  This is just a fun little exercise for me, and not my usual thing where I try to drive myself crazy doing seven books all at once.  I'm just messing around a little, trying to have some fun.  I'll be taking the week after this off so I can start getting ready for SPACE.

Having said all of that, if you're out there reading this, and you like one of the pages from Seven Worlds Week, LET ME KNOW, either here on the blog, or via email, or on Facebook.  Positive Feedback is always, always welcome, and will often help direct where I put my attentions.  Quite honestly, I would have stopped producing Quixote Coyote if I hadn't received positive feedback from a few people, so if you like something, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment