Friday, March 11, 2016

BrokenWorld

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.






Today, we enter the 6th World in our Seven Worlds Week tour, and, unsurprisingly, it is the world of darkness and horror.  The title "Pulp Horrorshow" has always served as either my testing ground for new concepts or for when I wanted to get down and dirty and dark again.  In this case, it's somewhat both.  For months now I've been trying to write a Horror story, but it's not been easy for me.  Monsters, Violence, and (until the last few years) Gore have always been a staple of TORC Press, but I've always written stories about the battle of Good vs. Evil, with Good usually achieving a hard-fought victory in the end.  But Horror, True Horror, typically doesn't work like that.  Not only does Good rarely triumph, but even if it does, the victory is usually hollow and short-lived.  Sure, you killed Jason, but he'll be back, and he'll probably kill you in the sequel, y'know?  More often than not, Horror is about the inescapable inevitability of Death, and the Fear associated therein.  That's why the Purge has quickly become such a Cult Classic Film series, because it introduces such a terrifying concept, in that for 24 Hours everyone could, potentially, be out to kill you.  From your coworkers that secret hate you, to that neighbor that can't stand the way you take care of your lawn, to that person you accidentally cut in front of at the grocery store, suddenly everyone could become a Grim Reaper hungry for your blood. 

I haven't really tapped into my inner darkness for awhile, either.  Not since the two issue "Death Moth" solo series where I (pardon the pun) attempted to Purge every last Toxic, disgusting, deranged, horrifying concept from my mind and put it all on paper, creating the single most disturbing, radioactive, unreadable comic in the history of the Universe (I made sure I was on a very solid footing relationship-wise with Mei before I showed her that particular comic).  I haven't really sunk to those depths in awhile, so finding a decent Horror story was hard for me.  Luckily, I also recently watched the absolutely brilliant TV series "Hannibal", which gave some concepts and visuals, and started the ball rolling on ideas for a new Horror series.  The concept I ultimately came up with serves as something of a compromise.  In BrokenWorld (World #6), things are much like they are in our world, but the walls between reality are thin, and horrible things are starting to seep in.  People are being slowly driven mad, and there a group of Monsters/Spirits that feed on those that have fallen prey to their inner darkness.

Anyway, I've only got one page done, but here's a page from "Pulp Horrorshow" Volume 5 set in BrokenWorld.  I apologize in advance.






Creepy, right?  It creeped me out a little just drawing it.  Anyway, if you want to know what one of those shadowy figures looks like, here's a drawing I did of him last week.  Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Bandersnatch.




Anyway, one more world to go, and thankfully, it is quite literally the Polar Opposite of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment