Tuesday, March 8, 2016

LostWorld (No, Not That Lost World)

Seven Worlds Week continues onward, cats and kittens!  We have entered our 4th World, which I call LostWorld (and there's no relation to Jurassic Park... although we will get a Dinosaur later this week, so stay tuned for that).  I only have one page from LostWorld ready to go, so here's that:






Lost World features the return of aliceislost, who we haven't seen for awhile.  aliceislost debuted waaaaay back in SDF: Crumpled Planet, my first comic I had professionally printed, and the first comic I publicly sold at a Convention.  alice was a changeling.  She could transform from a doll-like child form to a fully grown adult.  Her adventures (which were originally purely pantomimed) took place in a strange world that was like a Goth version of Alice in Wonderland (I would say it was like if Tim Burton did Alice in Wonderland...but he already did that).  Although alice kind of existed on her own, she was also a part of the greater TORCverse, and interacted with lots of other characters, most notably Cactus Joe & Pengy Penguin and the original version of Broken Tea Cup.  After I brought the SDF "series" to an end, alice continued to appear throughout the TORCverse, appearing in the Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club (the original version) and starring in a string of back-up stories where she actually got to talk for the first time.  Most recently, aliceislost rescued the Death Moth from certain doom in the final issue of Skull Mob, and she was set to serve as a member of Mango Habenero in the new version of SDF (which never got off the ground, which was, again, my bad).  After that she just kind of disappeared. 

That gave me a chance to reboot Alice.  I actually tried this once before, and we'll talk about that in a bit.  First off, for those of you that are new, here's what aliceislost originally looked like:




This is a more recent drawing, so she's not the Barbie-esque stickfigure she used to be.  Anyway, it was a pretty cool design.  Simple, eye-catching.  The problem I had with the design was that two-fold: 1) She was a little too simplistic, and 2)  with that giant hair and giant bow, it was really hard to fit her into a panel.  She's just so top-heavy, not just with all that stuff going on with her head, but also, that's where all her color is.  Also, the only clothes she's wearing is a tube top and a mini-skirt.  I mean, seriously, she looks like she was designed by a frustrated, lonely, 25 year old.  Ahem.  Anyway, I wanted to update her look and her story, so I did this:

This new version of aliceislost was called Lost Alice (worked really hard on the name there, didn't I?).  I made her a normal woman with blonde hair, gave her a slightly more modest dress, a hideous belt (seriously, what was I thinking with that belt?), and a red shawl/cape thingie.  It wasn't a great design, I admit it.  Sometimes you just roll with something and hope for the best.  Lost Alice's adventures were a straightforward adaptation of Alice In Wonderland.  I released an 8 Page Comic which sold a few copies at appearances and none online.  There wasn't any feedback on the comic at all, so I lost interest and buried the book.






So, last week, when I was thinking about Seven Worlds Week, I thought to myself, "Self, it's time to do aliceislost again.  Except, let's do it right this time."  So, she's called AliceIsLost now (again, worked real hard on that name), and I went back to the Goth look of the original.  I made some changes though.  She's got an actual dress this time, I flattened the hair, got rid of the bow, and modified the eyes and nose to make them more "Doll-like", which continues the Doll Theme that she kinda has going.  Anyway, here's the new design (which I unveiled last week):

I think she looks pretty good.  Oh!  On the page above, you can see what Alice's child-like Doll Form looks like.  Anyway, when I get a chance, I plan on doing more AliceIsLost and fleshing out this little story a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment