Friday, March 11, 2011

Notes from a Tired Old Man

Oof. Long week.

First off, this is the last blog I'll be posting on Myspace. We had a good run, but like most people, I'm sick to death of this ugly, stupid, unwieldy behemoth. When you try to get to your blog, and you're inundated with ads for some Digital Downloads you're not interested in, it's time to go. For the five people that read this blog, I'd like to once again stress that this blog is carbon copy posted over at http://torcpress.blogspot.com/, and that updates to the blog are listed at the main site at www.torcpress.com.

Once again, I'd like to thank those that did take a chance on TORC Press at STAPLE. I'll be honest, the show did not go well this year. And not just for me. It seemed like a lot of people were having trouble generating interest from a crowd that had been seemingly zombified. After the enthusiasm of previous years, the crowd's palpable apathy was disheartening to say the least. Still, we moved some books, so I can't complain too much. I'd also like to thank the fine folks that put on STAPLE. Regardless of the people milling through it, it's a great show at a great venue, and it's really well organized. I'm currently trying to decide if I'm gonna go again next year.

My next convention is (woo-hoo!) SPACE over in Columbus, OH. That is on March 19 and 20 and details are up at www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm.

My plane out of St. Louis got cancelled on Monday, so I was trapped in the Houston Airport for 8 hours. That was fun.

We'll be starting a brand new issue of MONSTER KING tomorrow. It's quite a bit different from the previous two issues, so be sure to tune in tomorrow for that. Also, we'll be leaving Issue 2 up in its entirety for one more week. Read it while the reading is good.

While we're on the subject of MONSTER KING, please, if you dig the strip, let me know. There's two ways, either drop me a line via e-mail at cactusfnjoe@hotmail.com or pick up a copy of the individual comic in our online store at www.torcpress.com/store.html. Apathy is the Grim Reaper of Creativity.

I did a lot of soul searching after the STAPLE debacle. I've decided to stick to my aggressive, hell for leather, let's publish a ton of books, attend a ton of Cons, and try to actually get a little bit of a readership plan for the year. If it doesn't pan out, then I'm not sure what 2012 will hold.

Welp, gotta get to work at the Sawmill.

1 comment: