Tuesday, February 9, 2016

HFSAC Special 3 (of 5)

Page Three Baby!

I'm not like a lot of artists, where I am super critical of my own work.  I know I'm not the best, I know I'm not the worst, and for the most part I just try to be Zen about the whole thing (obviously, this perspective can vary wildly from day to day, or even hour to hour... but I digress).  I acknowledge my weaknesses (poor backgrounds, weak perspective, dubious anatomy, a primary focus on plot over character, don't give a crap about light sources), but I also acknowledge my strengths (naturalistic dialogue, hi-speed plotting, strong storytelling, high energy artwork, great facial expressions).  One of my better strengths is that I have a strong sense of Character Design.  I make cool looking characters.  But sometimes, this strength can become a weakness.  Let's say, for example, I design an ancient evil monster from the Dawn of Time.  And I decide that this monster has a giant GoatSkullFace.  And then I'm like, Hey, wouldn't it be cool if it actually had three interconnected GoatSkullFaces?  That would be cool.  And then the Goat Horns in the middle could intertwine, that would be so rad!  Yeah!

So, I draw it, and it looks cool as all get out, and I slap a Sauron Eye between the Horns just to really hammer the whole Ancient Evil Theme home.  Great!

One tiny problem though.  I have to draw this stupid, ridiculously complicated monster multiple times from several different angles!  Noooooooooo!!!!  I'm an Eediot!

The lesson for today children is this:  Just draw stick figures.  Stick figures are quick and easy to draw and look good no matter where you put the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment