Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bad Rapture Alpha Page 2

Today's Webcomic:

Bad Rapture Alpha Page Two.

About 3 years ago I was working the excellent MCBA Springcon in St. Paul, MN (a show that, regrettably, I haven't been to for a couple of years now, partially due to other engagements cropping up, and partially due to the fact that the show is a heckuva long drive).  I was sharing a table with a fella I just met, the excellent John Hoban (check him out HERE), and we hit it off pretty good.  So we talked about this and that and whatnot, and somehow we got on the subject of inking.  And he mentioned that he doesn't use traditional inks.  Instead he simply scans his pencils into the computer and darkens everything up in Photoshop.  My response was, of course, "You can do that?  Caveman confused!  Me use fire to cook Pterydactyl meat!"Anyway, I filed the information away for later and moved on with my life.

Flash forward to the present.  Lately I've been hearing the brilliant Tom Scioli talk a lot about Digitally Inking his Pencils.  I'm not sure if it's the same technique or not, but the idea intrigued me.  With Bad Rapture Alpha I was trying to decide what Art Style to use on the book, and I thought maybe now would be a good time to do a little experimentation.  So, for this book, I'm doing extra dark pencils, scanning them without Inking them, and then adjusting the Levels (thanks for the tip Bailey!) in Photoshop.  I'm also trying some new techniques with the Color as well.  I'm not sure how well any of this will work, but Old Boy says ya gotta try, right?  After all, Stagnation Equals Death.

No comments:

Post a Comment