Monday, February 17, 2014

HFSAC 21-15

Today's Webcomic:

The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club.  Issue 21.  Page 15.

This page finally gives us the payoff to that one page scene with Omnichronus a few pages back.  One of the concepts that I really wanted to work with when I created this version of HFSAC was, "What if you worked for a truly benevolent god-like being?"  A lot of times, when you see "Gods" in comics (or other types of fiction) they can be fickle or downright nasty.  I mean, how many times in the Jack Kirby run on "Thor" alone does Thor get punished by Odin for some minor offense or misunderstanding?  Odin punishing Thor is the entire premise of the first "Thor" movie for cryin' out loud.  We always hear about the Wrath of God or the Wrath of the Gods, and mythology is rife with the gods punishing their servants just as readily as their enemies.  When the Silver Surfer decides that us humans are just a little too noble to get wiped out by Galactus's hunger, Galactus responds by marooning the poor guy on our planet (Ironically, in the Surfer's eyes we suddenly went from being Noble to Insane Apes... dear God, that Surfer solo series was some whiny crap).  One of the reasons for the crisis of faith that has plagued me for the last five years or so comes from the fact that I can't reconcile the concept of a God that is supposed to be my "friend" who simultaneously subjects his followers to a virtual calvacade of trials, tribulations, and full on beatdowns with the promise of a "perfect afterlife" being the reward at the end.  It just seems bogus when you get right down to it.  I mean, I don't go around kicking my friends in the balls and then go, "Hey, don't worry about it, I'll buy you some ice cream three years from now."

So, I wanted to create the concept of a benevolent god-like being in Omnichronus.  A creature that was mysterious and remote and removed, BUT at the same time treated his followers well and looked after and cared for them.  Hence, the Golden Butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment