Thursday, October 3, 2013

Skull Mob 2-6 (14 Moments)

Today's Webcomic:

Skull Mob.  Issue 2.  Page 6.  www.torcpress.com

Once again, everything I need to say is already in the NOTES section of the Main Site, so instead, I've decided to list my Top 14 Personal Favorite In-Comic Moments from TORC Press History.  Since I'm constantly moving forward, a lot of this stuff is new, but there's some Golden Oldies floating around as well.  So, here we go:

Honorable Mention- Dicks for Hire! from "The Clown & Tea Cup Show" #2-  Cactus Joe, Pengy Penguin, and Broken Tea Cup form a detective agency called "Dicks for Hire".  This was a real life joke my brother made up, so it was really fun transplanting it into the comics.  I'd chuckle every time I wrote the phrase.

Honorable Mention-  The Bowling Montage from "Truth or Consequences 100".  After barely surviving a series of life or death struggles on the planet Neptune, our heroes are magically whisked away to a Cosmic Bowling Alley where they, obviously, go bowling.  It was a fun, colorful sequence, and Cactus Joe's reaction to scoring a 7-10 Split is priceless.

14.  The Reality Rupture from "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club" #7-  A Reality Rupture is a temporary pocket dimension created when the boundaries separating dimensions collapse within a localized area of Spacetime.  Physics and logic are meaningless here.  It's one of my favorite plot devices, and the first time you see one is in this comic.

13.  Octopus Jones vs. The Chupacabra from "Truth or Consequences Zer0"-  Okay, I admit, I'm kinda shoehorning this one in so Octopus Jones gets on the list.  Still, the sheer Marvelness of the misunderstanding and ultimate fight between Octopus Jones and the Chupacabra upon their initial meeting is a hoot.  Plus, a new rival was born, one I plan to get back to, very soon.

12.  Cactus Joe vs. Zarathon from "Pulp Horrorshow" Volume 1 #5-6-  This epic fight scene between two immortal fighters, the killer Clown and the demonic Zarathon, still stands as one of my best fight scenes (and I loves my fight scenes).  Just a brutal, hardcore, knock down drag out.

11.  The Final Fantasy Page from "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club" #18-  The HFSAC crew runs afoul of a Gelatanous Blob, only for the view to switch over to... well, video game mode.  It's a darn funny page and a nice little bit of nostalgia to boot.

10.  Giant Monster Fight from "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club" #2-  The original HFSAC crew end up fighting a giant sea monster in the middle of the ocean while attempting to purchase a Space Whale.  I believe this is the first Giant Monster Fight in TORC Press History, and it's a pretty cool, pretty crazy fight as well.  My favorite moments is when the Monster eats El Exclamation Point!, who yells as he's falling into its mouth, "I HOPE I GIVE YOU THE S***S!"

9.  Who Ordered a Cow? from "The Clown & Tea Cup Show" #1-  If you've never read TCTC #1, please just order a copy.  I can't possibly explain the beautiful insanity of this wonderfully inspired comic.  If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.

8.  Eat Shark, Bird Face Old Man! from "Pulp Horrorshow" Volume 2 #1-  I recently reread this comic, and man oh man is it messed up.  Seriously, was I on something when I made this?  Anyway, the highlight moment involves El Exclamation Point! riding a mechanical shark and attacking a man with a giant bird growing out of his neck.  Yeah.

7.  Space Worm from "Cosmic Love" #2-  Cactus Joe and the Butterfly Mob are relaxing in space when a giant Space Worm shows up and tries to eat their ship, the Smile King.  One of my best Splash Pages to date.

6.  The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club Issue 19 Page 15- Wait for it...

5.  Ramming Speed! from "SDF: The Great Mud Village Downhill Derby Car Race"-  It's the Great Race, and El Gorio is cheating, using dirty tricks to eliminate the competition.  Sped decides he's had enough and goes all Kamikaze.  It's a funny gag in a funny book.

4.  Dr. Dendull Possesses a Girl from "Death Moth" #1-  I have drawn some really, really messed up stuff in my time, but Nothing compares to this moment from DM 1 where Dr. Dendull... "wears" a woman's body as his own.  Seriously, seriously wrong.

3.  The Brothers Reunited from "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club" #11-  Occasionally, there are some truly emotional moments floating around in my comics, and this is one of the best.  After years apart, Cactus Joe is finally reunited with his brother, Broken Tea Cup.  It's a touching, yet funny, moment.

2.  Any Time Pengy Penguin Dances.  Because it makes me happy and reminds me why I love comics.

1.  Omnichronus Revealed from "Clown & Penguin" #2-  This jaw dropping double page spread not only features the first full appearance of Omnichronus, Judge of Worlds, in all his technicolor glory, it is also a moment where I get to fulfill a lifelong fantasy, bringing a Galactusesque being into my comix world.  Also, probably the best Art Piece I've done to date.

So, there you go.  That's my Top 14.  Does anyone out there have a Favorite TORC Press Moment they wanna share?

No comments:

Post a Comment