Saturday, March 17, 2012

Random Notes While I Watch Cartoons

First, let's get some good old fashioned Hype going. If you didn't know, Issue 16 of "The Hot Fudge Sundae Adventure Club" is now available from TORC Press. Info is at the main site at www.torcpress.com. SDF, Our new webcomic, has been up and running for a bit now, and the first eleven pages of Issue One (of which there will be 16 Pages) is available for viewing at http://www.torcpress.com/sdfweb.html. My next show is SPACE in Columbus, OH on April 21-22. Details at http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm.

Alright, on to more senseless stuff.

I'm officially sick to death of this ridiculous game of one upsmanship between Marvel and DC. DC reboots their whole line. Marvel counters by putting out Avengers vs. X-Men. DC counters with Before Watchmen. Ugh. It's all so stupid. Avengers vs. X-Men? Really? Apparently we learned nothing from Civil War, so let's do it all over again. Why not? Do Superheroes fight Supervillains anymore? No? God, I'm so bored. And Before Watchmen is even dumber. And we all know it's dumb, and we all know it's gonna sell (kinda like a Transformers movie). DC can justify the move all they want, and they own the characters, so they can do whatever they want with them, but that don't mean it's stupid. I've already given up on Marvel again (the boring crapulence of Matt Fraction's Defenders put the nails back in that particular coffin), and my massive stack of DC comics are starting to erode thanks to the perpetually shifting creative teams moving on and off of books. Before long I'll more or less be back to reading nothing but non-Marvel/DC books. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that means fewer comics fueling my obsession. That kinda sucks.

Part of my love of comics is the immediacy of the artform. Movies take forever to make, and TV comes and goes seasonally (new Adventure Time in April! Can't wait!). I'm currently not anticipating any new movies, except maybe Quentin Tarantino's Django Unbound, which has no fixed release date yet. David Lynch probably won't have a new movie out for another few years, and Cronenberg recently put out a new film (A Dangerous Method, quite good by the way).

Sometimes I think I make comics just to entertain myself while I'm waiting for something interesting to come out. (Actually I've got a bazillion reasons why I make comix. But I think the above is one of them)

Just for the heck of it, I've got my Top Ten Favorite Episodes of "Adventure Time" and "Regular Show". Here we go...

CJ's Top Ten Favorite "Adventure Time" Episodes:
10. Beutopia ("I'm in a boat with a couple wackos...)
9. Belly of the Beast (Teddy Bears partying in a Monster's Belly? Genius.)
8. The Limit ("Actually, I'll do anything if you say my name three times.")
7. Dad's Dungeon (Probably has some of the best monsters on the history of the show, plus, Finn and Jake's Dad pops up)
6. Death in Bloom (The establishing shot of the Land of the Dead is awesome)
5. Dungeon ("I'm gonna rip off your skin and wear you like a little coat.")
4. Enchiridion (One of the earliest episodes, and the episode that completely sold me on the series)
3. The Chamber of Frozen Blades (Doo-doo-doooo! NINJA!)
2. It Came from the Nightosphere ("I'll see you in the Nightosphere you sick freak.")
1. What Was Missing (What can I say? I love the song.)

CJ's Top Ten "Regular Show" Episodes
10. Weekend at Benson's (The trip out sequence at the end is Brilliant)
9. The Power ("Don't look at our crotches while we synchronize our watches.")
8. Just Set Up the Chairs (The video game monsters are awesome)
7. Party Pete ("Some call me cheap/a bit of a freeloader/but I got cups for that old school soda")
6. Peeps ("That's not regulation!" "Street Rules, man.")
5. Rage Against the TV ("It's the Hammer!")
4. Caffeinated Concert Tickets (The "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" Montage is priceless)
3. A Bunch of Baby Ducks ("Step Off!" Completely Insane)
2. Free Cake ("I wanna eat that greasy pig.")
1. Death Punchies (Any episode that has the song "You're the Best Around" automatically gets a win)

Welp, I should try to do something today.

No comments:

Post a Comment