Sunday, December 11, 2011

Random Notes on a Random Sunday

So, once again, I give Matt Fraction a try, and I am disappointed. "The Defenders" just didn't click with me. I wanted to like it, I really did. It was just, well, not for me. Also, once again the Silver Surfer had ears. Most people can't draw the Silver Surfer well anyway (Side Rant: Okay, since when did the Scrawny Ass John Buscema/Moebius version of the Surfer become the "Official" way to draw the Surfer. Last time I checked, Jack Kirby created the character, and Kirby drew the Surfer as Raw Power. As far as I'm concerned, THAT is the Official version, therefore, anyone that draws the Surfer as a Scrawny Wussbag Automatically is a Sucky Hack), but when you can't draw the Surfer well to begin with, and then you slap some ears on him, well, it just sucks. Sucks, I say.

Conversely, the new "OMAC" series shouldn't be a good comic. From a purely critical standpoint, the comic should suck. But, I say unto you, that verily, OMAC is muchly Awesome. (why am I writing like that?) Because OMAC has Alligators with Exploding Neon Laser Faces. Never seen that before.

Also, super excited about the upcoming OMAC/Frankenstien cross over. That is gonna be a BEATDOWN.

Speaking of which, I'm really amazed at how many of the New 52 DC Comics I've stayed with. So far I've only dropped "Nightwing", "Batman & Robin", and "Demon Knights". I'm on the fence with "Red Lanterns" (the every issue has some neat stuff in it, but I feel like the whole thing is kinda plodding along) and "Batman" (not sure if I'm enjoying this whole Secret Society of Owls thing... we'll see how Issue 4 goes). But everything else I'm reading I'm truly enjoying. My current DC stack consists of: Justice League (it's just fun), Action Comics (great stuff, truly enjoyable, I like what they're doing with Steel), Animal Man (every month this comic just blows me away. I did not expect this comic to be this good at all), OMAC (see above), Stormwatch (WOW! This one gets better with every issue, and it started off pretty damn good), Batwoman (pretty), Frankenstien (OMAC's only real competition for Best Book of the New 52), Swamp Thing (this one is just solidly excellent. Also, it makes a great companion piece to Animal Man), Resurrection Man (Wild Supernatural Stuff, didn't expect to like this comic, but it's great), Wonder Woman (Who knew this comic would Actually Live Up to the Hype?), and Justice League Dark (solid comic, but it needs more Shade. Yes. More Shade the Changing Man. Make it happen, Milligan). 11 Books on my Killer List, and 2 on my Iffy List? That's pretty good compared to the One Comic I was reading from DC.

Oh, has anyone else noticed that Marvel started off doing a bunch of big event Crossovers that were really easy to describe (Civil War=Superheroes vs. Superheroes, World War Hulk =Hulk vs. Everybody, Secret War =Superheroes vs. Aliens disguised as Superheroes, and Dark Reign=Supervillains pretending to be Superheroes), then they did a couple of Big Events that were Virtually Impossible to Describe (Um... Siege is about Asgard falling to Earth for no good reason, and then Norman Osborne attacks Asgard for some reason and then superzzzzzzzzz...., oh and then there was Fear Itself which was about Odin's brother (Odin has a brother? Wha?) who makes a buncha Thor hammers and gives them to people for some reason and there's the Red Skull's daughter (wait...now the Red Skull has a daughter? Wha?) and shezzzzzzzzzzz....). Apparently Siege and Fear Itself sucked so much that Marvel has gone back to the Old Method of making up Big Events that are easy to describe. Case in point, their next Event is "Avengers vs. X-Men". That's the name, and that's what it's about. Simple. It will probably do very well. I won't be reading it of course, but lots of other people will.

While we're on the subject, ain't like, half the X-Men members of the Avengers already? Maybe that's the point of this nonsense. "Who will Wolverine side with?" But isn't Wolverine already the leader of two X-teams? I'm confused already.

Also, enjoying the new "Russia" story arc in the BPRD.

The new "Muppet" movie is great. I laughed at everything and felt like I was 6 again. Nothing wrong with that. I hope.

All my Christmas Shopping is done. Only one of my presents hasn't shipped yet. Other than that, I'm gonna spend this week working on some stuff and getting my house ready for my annual Christmas Party, "A Very Cactus Christmas".

As stated before, new comic goes live on Monday. I should get that ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment