Monday, April 4, 2011

Back from Gem City

Woofenstien.

I'm back from Gem City, safe and sound. The show went okay. Didn't set the world on fire, but didn't bomb out. I've worked three shows so far this year, and I'm starting to notice something rather alarming. People just aren't interested in Small Press Comics right now. I mean, it would be one thing if just my sales were poor lately. I could attribute that to the fact that I completely suck and move on with my life. But, it seems like everyone at every show I go to is struggling. People who have comics that should be an absolute Slam Dunk are practically begging for sales. I figure there's only two possible answers. It's either the dreaded Economy or People just aren't interested in non-Marvel/DC Comics. Regardless, it was never exactly fun or easy to be a Small Press Guy, and now it's getting to be downright inhospitable.

BUT, the good news is I could care less. I've got stories to tell, and I could really care less as to how many tag along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, the more readers the merrier. The more readers I've got, the easier this thing is. But I'm not gonna stake my future on whether or not I can get X amount of people to follow along with the bizarre adventures of Cactus Joe the Clown and Pengy Penguin, y'know?

Speaking of which, I used my downtime at Gem City to Script Issue 4 of Monster King, and I also scripted a little 8 Page Comic that I plan on using as a "Business Card". I'm so excited about the direction my books are going. HFSAC and Cosmic Love are really shaping up to be cool books. This is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment